Monday, October 12, 2015

Bones & All

So I finished the book Bones&all from Camille DeAngelis. I have to say it was something quite different from the books I normally read, let alone choose. I was in Paris, in this nice little, total English store named Shakespeare and company and took this book in my head, reading the back of the book and it said:

http://shakespeareandcompany.com/
Someday I’ll wake up and they will have built a maze around me. And I will be relieved. Sixteen-year-old Maren wants the same thing ever girl her age wants. She wants to be loved. She wants to be accepted. She wants to be normal. But she’ll never be any of those things. For Maren has dark urges. There is a hunger inside her she can’t control and no one is safe, not even the people she loves. Can Maren ever fall in love? Or is she doomed to destroy those closest to her?

When I read it I was like “I need this book in my life.” because it felt like something mysterious, yet paranormal stuff. Angelic or demonic alike so I decided I was going to take it with me. When I came home it was the first book I started reading and I was surprised that it wasn’t what I expected. The first chapter begins with explaining it and how she’s doing now, after all those years. Because what I didn’t knew and certainly didn’t expected was that Maren was a something other than what I expected. She picked her first victim when she was a little child, it was her nanny. And throughout the book we get to know more of her victims.

On her 16th birthday, her mother decides to leave her because she can’t do it anymore. Clean the mess after she did it again and then move, because that’s what they always did. “Because mothers can make things all better and good.” Move when she did it again. Her dad wasn’t in the picture but after she made a hopeless attempt to go back to her mom, she decides she wants to look for her dad instead. Find out if he is like her, and with alike I mean the thing she knows best: make victims. She meets new people, she hurts new people. But the most important question is if the friendships she made, would be strong enough to fall in love and another important question is if she finds her dad.

I loved this book so much, and I never expected I’d fall in love with it since it’s not something I’d choose if I knew what it was about. But I’m glad I didn’t know and let me surprise by the author. Although I didn’t really like the long chapters in the beginning, the things that happened in the book made all up for it.

I loved how Maren started to find people alike and gets to know herself a little better. She might be 16 years old but I find it stunning how she thinks and grows as an adult. But the thing I loved the most in the book was when Lee came in the picture. He’s 19 years old and also alike in the things he does, only he does it to certain people and not like Maren, to the ones that become close with her. In the beginning Lee was cold towards her, almost as if he hated her or thought she was a baby but near the end he starts to open up, even save her. I loved how their relationship grew from this distant to something very close.

That’s really the most important I can and will tell because I find the other aspects in the book far too valuable to tell when people didn’t even read the book yet. I know you might say now "What is she? I won't read it until I know what she is." but I was surprised by the author and I want to let you be surprised too. In case you were thinking or doubting to read this book, I tell you now GO. GET. THAT. BOOK. Like really, even if you think oh this isn’t what I read, I like more angelic or demonic. This will change your life (it changed mine). It’s amazing from beginning till the end and after a while I wasn’t bothered that the chapters were so long. This book definitely makes my Top 10.  


 “Someday I’ll wake up and they will have built a maze around me. And I will be relieved.”

No comments:

Post a Comment