Saturday, January 23, 2016

A Thousand Pieces of You

My friend, Fien recommended the book A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Grey. I must say I was really impressed with the cover but did have some difficulties within the story. I still enjoyed the book but let's say that for me, it wasn't an easy read!

Marguerite Caine has very impressive parents. Both are the inventors of the device called the Firebird. It allows people to jump into other universes, other dimensions... Everything was going well until her father is murdered and Marguerite decides to go after the killer: Paul, one handsome, enigmatic assistant. He escaped by jumping into another dimension which also makes sure he can't be touched by the law. 
She refuses to let him walk out of this after breaking her whole family. Racing after Paul, she leaps into another version of herself. Seeing differences but also many similarities in her new self and new environment. But she also meets the other versions of the people she knows, including Paul. Seeing all his versions in all these universes, Marguerite starts to question if he's the killer. Soon she finds out the truth to what happened and who's responsible for her broken family... And it's nothing like she expected. 

First thing I want to say is that I was so happy that I finally found a book where it's possible to travel through dimensions. I remember that there was a film where people could jump from one place to another and I loved that movie! This was, in my eyes, something similar! Only they didn't jump from one city to another but from one universe to another one. 

What did I think about Marguerite... I think she's quiet the courageous girl now, isn't she? Her dad is killed and instead of staying with her family to support each other, she goes after the killer Paul! Kill Paul Markov! I really had respect for that, but throughout the story we do see she's really heartbroken. In the beginning of the book she's really driven by rage and anger which I can't blame her for. The anger she felt did reach me as a reader, I hated Paul from the start! 

Soon there's another boy and I'm really feeling him and think he's amazing. He cares for Meg, he wants to protect her. But he also felt a strong bond with her father since he was also one of his assistants. He's arrogant and flirty, he makes mistakes but you really see other sides to this character and I fell instantly in love with him. For me there was a ship... I wanted him and Meg to be together because it seemed to work. He took care of her no matter what. He'd never endanger her and I really appreciated that in him.


It doesn't take long before I see my ship sinking though, like the Titanic: tragically and painful. I really hoped these two characters were going to get together but because of some events, he became one of my suspects in the family tragedy. And when something like that happens, I can't ship Meg with a maybe-evil-one, right?

Marguerite starts to doubt to everything she finds out in these different universes. To be honest I also became very confused to what I needed to believe and what might be lies. I liked it that this story also gave you doubts and made you read along to find out if you're right or wrong. 

Throughout the story I had to change my opinion on multiple characters and it doesn't take long before we reach a plot twist! One I honestly didn't see coming, I was so surprised and it only awakened more questions to what's really going on! But then there comes another plot twist and that one surprised me but also broke my tiny heart! And all that because of the evil one, there goes the last of one of my ship... forever... I had many ships in this book but it sucks to see them sinking.

As for the different universes they jump into... It's normal that there are universes you don't like as much as others. One of the universes was boring in my opinion because it felt like her read world, her universe. But there was 1 dimension I was absolutely happy with and also very interested! And that whole dimension even picked up names from there and made references to a movie I watched as a kid and absolutely LOVED! 

So that dimension was the best of them all in my opinion, not only because it was very accurate and right but also because it's where they stay the longest. And because you stay that long in one universe, it's not possible for nothing to happen. So many things enroll and I loved every bit of it! So way to go, Claudia Grey!

But now I also need to say there are quiet some things I didn't comprehend. For me it was very difficult to get into the story and it took me a while to get through the first 100 pages. This due to many things I didn't understand. Scientific aspects or like how the Firebird really works...

The Firebird is one of the key things in this story, they're important yet sometimes I wished there was more explanation to it. When events happen it didn't always seem as logic with the little information we got in the beginning of the book. So I did wish more details to how this all really worked! 

And because of the lack of info, I had one transition I didn't think was possible and really left me more confused on what was real and what wasn't possible. I think that's really a pity because it made it a little less pleasant to me and more confusing. 

Even though I had some difficulties with this book I still want to give it a 4 out of 5 stars because there were many pleasant parts, especially the one dimension I was a great fan of. It also might be something very personal, for me it just was hard to understand all this scientific aspects and the technical parts but besides that this book was good. It is mixed with romance, betrayal, mystery and adventure and for that it left a great impression on me.

It is not the best book I've read, that I think, but I still read the second book to this series because I am curious to what might happen now. This book left an impression! 

"A thousand lives. A thousand possibilities. One Fate."




No comments:

Post a Comment