Friday, January 29, 2016

The Destiny of Violet and Luke

This one is a book that is in a series I've already talked about! The coincidence series by Jessica Sorensen! I talked about the first book in this series some weeks ago which was The coincidence of Callie and Kayden. One book later in this series (#3), we get this pretty one: The Destiny of Violet and Luke by Jessica Sorensen!

Luke Price is known as a real womanizer, from one women he goes to another. He might be tough on the outside but there's so much more to him. He wants control, he needs order and what he wishes the most are distractions. Those are the only things that can mute the memories of his childhood. He no longer has the need to remember that period of his life, but the past always haunts you down...


Violet Hayes life is a mess. Entangled in drugs affairs and neglect, she only has nightmares. Violet grew up in many foster homes while being haunted by her parents' unsolved murders. She needs closure but there is none and the wound just keeps getting ripped open. To survive in this awful world, she doesn't allow herself to feel anything and has to keep distance from everyone... 

Both teenagers find each other and instantly hate each other, yet they can't seem to stay away from one another. There is no way of fighting destiny, and both start to open up and feel things they've never felt before. Never wanted to feel before or even allowed. Together they try to find a way and discover how similar they really are. But what one must never forget is that the past always haunts you down... 

I enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed The Coincidence by Callie and Kayden, but these two aren't really comparable to each other... yet Jessica Sorensen did it again! This book was so stunning and so deep that I just kept reading! 

The first things I heard about this trilogy about Violet and Luke was that I'd hate reading it because of Luke. It was just the same criticism as I said in the other review, but from what I also read on the back of the book I first wasn't convinced I'd want to read this. Yet as every other book I check out and aren't that convinced about... it comes back. It haunts me and then I decide to give it a chance anyway. And I'm glad I gave this a chance because it was so worth it! 

As I said this was really different to The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden and we already get to see that in the way the characters behave. The main female character, Violet, isn't anything like Callie. Callie was the silent one, introverted but Violet is... hateful. She hates everything, she is irritated very easily. What I liked most about Violet was the fact that because of all that, she stood up for herself. She bites (back). 

We know she has had a very bad childhood, both her parents were murdered and we really see how she acts because of that, what insecurities she hides behind her irritation. But from the start, I was convinced that she wasn't all about that tough love. Throughout the story we get to know the real Violet and I was happy that we could see that transformation and how she has changed.

As for Luke, he's the arrogant one. The bastard, I'd say in comparison with Kyle. Kyle is the team player, Luke needs his control. I was really curious to what has happened in his childhood that made him the man he is now. There was just something about Luke that I couldn't shake. I just had the need to find out how he really acts and if he's really been behaving like this for his whole life. But also Luke has his secrets, which got me more curious.

The good thing was that we already have seen sides from Luke in the Coincidence of Callie and Kayden, so that added more to my curiosity! I can say that I did like him from the start, whereas with Violet I wasn't all too sure but she grew on me eventually.  

When both collided with each other, I was so amused. The way they act with each other, how they react and such is just too amusing! I did got that both of them were really irritated by each other and were hateful. That part really shows that both need control and order but also distance from other people. They don't want to get burned a second time. You really see their characteristics in action and that's what I loved most in this book. 

Then the plot, it was not how I thought it would be. Many warn you because Luke is a womanizer and that this will have bad influences on the language and how this book would develop but again, I didn't find anything of that leading to a bad book. 

On the contrary, this book really kept your attention. And I think this statement was perfect with this book: 'Opposites attract each other'. There's a constant pushing and pulling, distance and longing and that kept this plot really exciting. Who is going to give in first? How is the other one going to react on this? Many questions arise but all do get answered. 

I just enjoyed this book so much because both characters are so different from what I expected them to be but also from the books I've read so far. I've never had a book where two could dislike and like each other so much that it might end well or end badly. That was another thing that I was really astonished about, would there be a good ending? A happy ending? Sometimes it leads to that, but others times you aren't that convinced anymore. It's another factor that really kept me reading along! 



And for the ending... It was VERY surprising but you'll have to read for yourself. But the whole plot isn't as realistic to me as the story of Callie and Kayden was. It's still something you can connect with, and still very rational but I found Callie and Kayden just a bit more 'normal'. That doesn't make this book bad of course, it's just a little thing I thought!

As I already said before: Jessica Sorensen did it again! I'm glad I gave this book a shot and didn't let it go because I got scared off by the bad comments on this book. If you read The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden and want to read more by Jessica Sorensen but still something totally opposite? This is your book! 

A little remark, if you don't want to read the Coincidence of Callie and Kayden, you can start this book and only read the story of Violet and Luke. If you do want to read Callie and Kayden's story, I recommend you reading it in the order that Goodreads gives you which you can find HERE. I only say this because if you don't read them all in the order like I did, you get spoiled! I just read the trilogy of Callie and Kayden first and then the trilogy of Violet and Luke, and I got spoiled big time! This is because the stories are woven together and the characters are seen in the other stories during this series of 7 books! So watch out for the spoilers!

“Even though the odds are in my favor, doesn’t mean they’ll end up that way. First rule of cards. And of life.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment